University History

The State University of Humanities and Technology (GGTU) has passed an interesting and complex way of formation and development.


The main milestones are as follows:

1940 - On 7May, the Executive Committee of the Moscow City Council made a decision to open an institute for preparation of secondary school teachers in Orekhovo-Zuevo

1950 - On 2April, in accordance with a decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR, the institute was reorganized into a pedagogical one

1951 - A faculty of foreign languages was opened

1954 - The institute began to offer correspondence courses for teacher training

1959 - A faculty of primary school teacher training was opened – unique in its sense in the Moscow region at that time

1970 - A faculty of advanced training for pedagogical college teachers opened its doors

2002 - The institute was reorganized into Moscow State Regional Pedagogical Institute

2002 - The institute opened the Moscow Regional Centre of Internet Education for teachers and heads of educational institutions

2009 - On 15January, the institute was renamed into the Moscow State Regional Institute of Humanities

2010 - The institute celebrated its 70th anniversary

2015 - The institute was renamed into the State University of Humanities and Technology

 

It was opened in the building of the almshouse belonging to Morozov Merchants’ Factory (nowadays, building No. 3), which was built by M.F. Morozova, the mother of the famous industrialist and patron S.T. Morozov.

The university was founded in accordance with a decision of the Executive Committee of the Moscow Region Council on 7May 1940 as an institute for preparation of secondary school teachers. Initially, there were 3 faculties in the university: the faculty of the Russian language and Literature, the faculty of Physics and Mathematics, and the faculty of History, with an annual enrolment of 270 people. A.G. Zakharov, one of the active participants in the founding of the institute, was appointed as the first director.

At the beginning of the Second World War the institute was still in the bud. But, despite all hardships of the wartime, it continued to work and prepare teachers. In the first months of the Second World War, 17 teachers (one third of the total) and 26 students left for the front or went to the militia.

In the peacetime, the institute was given an opportunity of further development, enhancement of material and technical facilities, and improvement of teaching and educational work. In 1946, the institute received a sizeable placement, which became a permanent one, namely two buildings which used to be school number 4.

In total, in the 1940s the institute trained about 2000 teachers for a 7-year school as well as for the secondary 10-year school. The institute prepared qualified teachers of History, the Russian Language, Literature, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geography and Science.

On 2April 1950, in accordance with a decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR, the institute was one of the first to be reorganized into a pedagogical one with an annual enrolment of 250 people. Ogloblin Alexander Alexeevich (1941-63), Nazariev Sergey Vasilyevich (1963-75), Yakovlev Igor Ivanovich (1975-84), Dmitri Dmitrievich Konychev (1984-1997) were at the head of our institute.

After reorganization of the institute, a faculty of Foreign Languages was opened. The total number of students gradually increased and amounted to 1036 students in 1953. Due to the lack of classrooms, lessons were arranged in two or even three shifts. Since 1954, a few faculties offered correspondence courses. In 1959, a faculty of primary school teachers training was opened. In 1960, the faculty of Geography and Natural Sciences was transformed into the faculty of Biology and Chemistry. Between 1950 and 1969, the institute published more than 30 volumes of Academic Notes, highlighting activities of its major departments.

The material base of the University gradually improved: in 1962, the construction of an extension to the old building was completed, and three years later, in 1965, a new educational building housing 960 people was festively opened, that allowed to organize the work of the Institute in one shift. At the same time 400 students moved into a new hostel. Students of the university took an active part in the development of virgin lands, every autumn they helped village workers to harvest, worked in student construction teams in all parts of the country at all-USSR construction sites.

The expansion of the material base of the Institute was accompanied by an increase and improvement of the educational equipment of classrooms, laboratories, the growth of the book fund of the library and reading room, including thanks to the works published by the university staff.

In 1970, a faculty of advanced training for pedagogical college teachers opened its doors. Up to now more than 5 000 teachers did these courses. The institute developed rapidly, opened new departments, improved training and research activities.

In the 1980s, the number of teachers with academic degrees and titles increased significantly. Most of the teachers who used to work and are working at the institute are its graduates. In some departments up to 50% of teachers are graduates of the institute. Graduates of the institute also work in the educational institutions in the Moscow region, in the cities of the Russian Federation (from Pskov to Altai and Sakhalin), in the CIS countries. Many graduates became research workers, others devoted themselves to public education, became directors and head teachers of schools, inspectors and heads of city and district departments of education.

At the end of the 1980s, negative trends began to manifest themselves: the development of the university slowed down. Due to radical changes in the country the 1990s was not an easy period. The institute was going through hard times. The team began to work under a new economic mechanism. New socio-economic conditions, market relations prompted to reconsider all aspects of the university life. The first rector elected on a democratic basis was the doctor of pedagogical sciences, Professor A. A. Shatalov (1997-2011).

In the 2000s, there were important changes in the status of the institute. In April 2000, the university was renamed into Orekhovo-Zuevo State Pedagogical Institute, in July 2002 – into Moscow State Regional Pedagogical Institute. At that time new faculties were established, namely the faculty of History, the faculty of Law, the faculty of Psychology and Pedagogy. In 2002, Moscow Regional Centre of Internet Education for teachers and heads of educational institutions was opened on the basis of our university.

The material base of the Institute significantly increased. On 25 January 2002, a new building was solemnly opened with new offices and laboratories. Multimedia teaching and new computer classes are on the rise. Teachers and staff of the Institute created multimedia textbooks and teaching materials, guidelines and textbooks. Our university has trained about 40 000 specialists at full-time and correspondence courses.

On January 15, 2009 the university was renamed into Moscow State Regional Institute of Humanities. A year later, in 2010 the institute celebrated its 70th anniversary. In 2015, the institute was renamed into the State University of Humanities and Technology.

 

 
Rus            Eng

Contact details:

E-mail: inter@ggtu.ru

Mobile +79687234542 (whatsap)

Maria OVCHINNIKOVA

Postal address:

142611, Moscow Region,

Orekhovo-Zuevo

Zelenaya Street, 22

Building 2, office 63

2017